Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Adventure

Brent wanted to go for a drive today... so we drove. It was quite an adventure! We took back roads that neither of us had driven before and we headed south... or maybe west, I'm not sure. We drove past lots of corn fields. Didn't really realize that this part of Idaho had so much corn. We drove past some very large rock/dirt piles... or perhaps they were formations... either way, I think they're called "Buttes" in these parts. And Brent thought that he might like to climb them someday. :) We wound up in Melba - of all places. Super tiny town! I told Brent that it reminded me of the town where my Grandma and Grandpa Martin lived - Astoria, SD. Although Melba may be slightly larger. And I'm sure they get several folks from the surrounding countryside who frequent the Melba Market... and, quite possibly, who regularly attend one of the 5 or 6 churches in town. Well, we continued on our adventure and came across Celebration Park - Idaho's First Archaeological Park! Talk about a plethora of rocks!! We just had to park the car and get out to walk around and climb on the rocks! There was also a foot bridge that we walked across... and, boy, was it windy! After a while, we decided that it was time to head back home. We found the main highway... which was a lot easier to drive than back roads! After all was said and done, I think we had only travelled about 20 miles out of town - but it sure felt like we had gone farther! Nevertheless, we got to spend some quality time together and it turned out to be a really fun day! Yay for spontaneous road trips! :)

No comments: