Monday, December 29, 2008

My Eleventh OB Visit + Ultrasound

I wasn't supposed to have a 3rd trimester ultrasound (US) but since I was measuring large, my Dr wanted to check to make sure everything was OK in there. My appt was at 11:30am and started with the US. The tech checked baby and amniotic fluid measurements and everything looked good. Then it was time for us to meet with Velma. Once again: checked my weight, peed in a cup, checked BP... uh-oh, it's high! I think she told me 150/110?!? Yikes!!!! They had me lie there for a while and then checked again. It was somewhere around 135/98-ish... but still high! Plus my feet, ankles and calves were really swollen this time. We didn't even discuss much with Velma. She felt it was necessary to send me over to the hospital for a non-stress test. We went to the Labor & Delivery (L&D) triage dept where, once in a room, I got to strip and try on one of those lovely hospital gowns. Beautiful! : (Not.) The nurse got me all hooked up to various machines so they could monitor baby and my BP... ooo, but not before I got to pee in a cup again. While they contacted my Dr... who just happened to be at the hospital doing an emergency c-section today... Brent went to the waiting room to call both of our bosses with the news of our hospital visit. My Dr requested labs and another US... I said, "Are you sure? I just had one at her office." But they wheeled me down to radiology anyway. Once there, I checked with the US tech once more. I said, "Maybe this is gonna be different than what I just had... but I was just over at Dr King's office where they did an US to check measurements." The tech contacted my Dr again... who had forgotten that my US was today so she said nevermind. Whew! Now, back up to L&D triage. They hooked me up again and said they were just waiting for lab results and orders from Dr King. By this time it was close to 5pm and we were getting hungry!! Finally, the nurse told us the results were back and that Dr King was still in the hospital so she would come down to see us. Now, the verdict: my CBC and Chem Panel looked great. My urine had a little protein in it. My BP never did get back down to normal and my extremities were still swollen. The Dr was concerned about pre-eclampsia so she sent me home with a 24-hour urine catch kit. She also put me on bedrest and said that I was not to go back to work until after baby... oh, and by-the-way, she may want to induce me this Friday. THIS FRIDAY?!?! That's, like, 20 days early!! Whoa. Ok. Here we go...

No comments: