Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Sixth OB Visit

More of the same today: Another weigh-in. Only +3 today... which means 11 lbs total. Woo! BP today was 125/76 which they still said was good. Gave inevitable pee sample. Gave another blood sample an hour after drinking that horrendous glucose drink. YUK!! I had to have my breakfast completed by 7:30 this morning and then couldn't eat again until after my blood was drawn. I then drank that grossness by 9:50am which meant my blood was to be drawn by 10:50am. Which worked out perfectly since my appt was at 10:30am. Nothing like having super-sweet, flat, orange soda on an empty stomach! By the time I gagged that stuff down, I really felt like I was gonna hurl. I certainly hope I don't have to do that again any time soon. After all that, Velma came in to answer any questions, check the baby's heartbeat (142), and measure the belly. She measured differently though... she just used her fingers. Dr King used a tape measure last time. Whatever works, I guess. I don't remember her telling me what my measurements were though. Hmm. I vaguely remember something about 4cm?? Maybe that's how much we've grown since last time... which would make me 28cm. That sounds about right.
Some questions we had for Velma:
Q: What does it mean when heartburn turns into back pain?
A: Watch it. If it doesn't go away with Tums, it could be a gall bladder issue.
Q: I have a fairly large vein in my right leg that tends to get slightly painful at times... I've read about blood clots, could that be an issue?
A: It looks like a varicose vein and those can get painful during pregnancy. Blood clots tend to get red and hard. Elevate legs above your heart for at least 20 mins a night. Showering at night is best and at the end of your shower, run cool water over legs. There's also support hose that can be worn.
Q: Baby movements seem very low at times. Is that normal?
A: Should be fine.
Q: Had some cramping on left side. What does that mean?
A: Discussed round ligament pain which could worsen as uterus grows.
Q: Will I get a 3rd trimester ultrasound?
A: If your other ultrasounds looked good and there were no concerns, probably not... unless something unusual comes up.

The estimated size of baby today is about 2 lbs and 14.5" long (about the size of a head of cauliflower).

No comments: