Friday, June 12, 2009

Uh-oh...

It's Mac's 23 week "birthday" today but we had to make a trip to the Dr's office this afternoon because he has a rash on his legs. Ugh! I noticed what appeared to be a few small reddish splotches on the lower part of his legs yesterday but I didn't think anything of it until I saw that it had spread. There were more splotches and they were a little more red after his morning nap. Then I remembered... I had given Mac a couple bites of my ice cream the other day! Maybe this is an indication that he still has his intolerance for dairy products? I thought we should probably see the Dr to be on the safe side. The Dr said that it could be a viral rash and asked if Mac has been coughing or more congested than normal. No, not that I'm aware of. We concluded that it was a slight reaction to the dairy, after all. Well... after we got home from the clinic, I did notice that Mac was a little more raspy and he seemed to have developed a little cough now. And it seems to be getting progressively worse. I looked at the time: 8 o'clock. Shoot. That means even TVP's after-hours clinic is closed! I called the number anyway to see if there was still a nurse triage option. Whew, there was! I ended up talking to the nurse - who was very helpful, by the way - for about 30 minutes, going over symptoms and home cares and what to do should he get any worse. Well, he's not feverish... thank goodness! Daddy ran the hot shower water and sat with Mac in the steam for a little bit. We put his crib mattress at an incline and ran the cool mist vaporizor. It's tough to see my little Mac-a-roni sick! I wish I could do more for him! It's his first sickness! Daddy said he'd stay up with him for a little bit so we'll see how he does. I must say, I'm glad it's Friday night... otherwise I'd be the only one staying up through the night. And thank goodness the clinic has weekend hours as well. If he's not any better by morning, we'll call again to see if he should be seen again. Until then...

No comments: