All in all, the class was good. We practiced some breathing techniques and different things the dad-to-be can do to help mom-to-be during labor. We were also able to try out helpful positions for labor and delivery for those who might opt out of pain meds. (A couple of which Brent whispered, "Isn't this what got us here in the first place?") ;D That made me laugh. We also watched a few videos which were definitely eye-openers for me! After the very 1st one I turned to Brent and said, "I think I'm a little more freaked out now than I was before!!" Of course, we learned afterward that all the women in the 1st video were going completely natural - no pain meds at all!! Whew. That was a relief!
Our instructor, Marsha, told the guys that they could try on
an 'Empathy Belly' if they so desired. Aha! Now I knew the reason for the cameras! :) Only a handful of guys wanted to try it on... and Brent was not one of them. He said, "I just lost 38 lbs. I already know what that feels like." Needless to say, I didn't take any pictures. Oh well. At least I have one picture of Brent with his 'belly'. :D It was taken at one of my first OB visits.
In summary, I know that every birthing experience is unique. Ideally, I'd like to be able to stay mobile through as much of the labor as possible and maybe try some of the techniques I've learned. I'm hoping that I'm not in so much pain from the get-go that I'm crying for an epidural as soon as I get to the hospital. I know that being upright (at least partially) will utilize the gravitational forces to my benefit... rather than being confined to lying in bed for the duration. I'm certainly not against pain meds though! If I need 'em, I'll ask! .....
My mind keeps going back to one of the final episodes of 'Mad About You' when Jamie is about to give birth. She was set on not taking any pain meds... until it was too late. She had asked the Dr for an epidural and the Dr said that she missed her window of opportunity. So Jamie screams, "Well then BREAK THE WINDOW!" Funny stuff.
Enjoy your day!
No comments:
Post a Comment