*
This particular time was no different. Brent actually had enough time saved up at work he was able to take a whole week off! So, including weekends, we had about 10 days. That's including travel time. Oh, and as it turns out, we had Labor Day to recoup.
*Since I didn't have time to do any blogging while on vacation, here's the shortened week-long version condensed into one hefty post:
*Friday, Aug 28: I continued sorting and packing this morning while Brent was at work. It's amazing how much stuff we need to take now that we have a little one!! :) We had planned to be on the road by 1pm and I think we were finally driving by 2:30 or 3pm! Go figure!
For the first night, we thought it would be fun to stay with Kevin & LeAnne. That way we could see where they live and visit with the family and it was a good "break" in driving. It was fun to see them and the kids (except Maggie - We missed you, Maggie!). LeAnne planned a wonderful get-together/ evening meal where we got to visit with even more family (Kevin's folks and siblings) who live in the area. Great time! The only disappointment?
I must've been too tired to remember to break out the camera, so I have no pics of that evening! Bummer. Maybe next time. They live in the cutest house though, with a huge backyard that has a fabulous covered patio! Just perfect for our group.
This was also the first night we were able to use the added bassinet feature on Mac's play yard. One word: Genius! It was so quick, easy and convenient to set up and use! I think Mac liked it, too. Although, he did wake up at about 3am needing to be held so maybe it'll take a little getting used to.
*
Saturday, Aug 29: This morning we set out for Spudnuts! Yes, we 
just had to experience for ourselves this amazing potato-flour-doughnut-phenomenon! We couldn't actually stay and eat them at this little bakery as it was completely packed to the brim with Spudnut lovers!! So we took them back to the house and sat around the dining room table to partake. And.... they were good! In all honesty, it tasted exactly like a doughnut to me. But at least now we can say: we've experienced the Spudnut! And I mean no disrespect to the Spudnut, however... Krispy Kreme on the
other hand, now that's melt-in-your-mouth goodness! ;D I do wonder though, why on earth didn't this spuddy sensation originate in Idaho?? Are there no clever Idahoans with "spud-sense?" Or am I missing something? ;)
After a visit to the comic book (and other things) store and a lunch picnic at a park by the river, we decided it was time for us to scoot on over to Portland.
On the way, we went through a patch of smoke and realized there were 
quite a few Forest Service crew members around, along with one of those dual propelled helicopters... which was getting ready to dip it's bucket into the water reserves. We figured they must've been fighting a fire, although, we didn't see any flames. It just looked like everything was smoldering. Perhaps they were practicing on some controlled spots... who knows?
*Sunday, Aug 30: We got back to our old stompin' grounds 
and went to NVF today. It was nice to see and visit with some good friends and catch up on how folks are doing there. It's definitely not the same as when we were going there. They have a new pastor. And there were lots of faces in the congregation we didn't recognize. We saw our friends Nicole and Scott, and we were able to go to lunch with them at one of our favorite pizza places: Pizza Schmizza! Love that stuff! Super fun atmosphere and equally fun company makes for a good time!
This evening was our first time this vacation to visit our favorite sushi place: Sushi Land (a.k.a. Marine Polis) Yuuuuuummmyyy sushi for veeeeerrrryyy little cost: $28 for 2! Including tip!! You'd have to double that for any good sushi here in Idaho! I wonder how much it would cost in Alaska?!? ;)
*Monday, Aug 31: Today was a relaxing day. Mom had the day off so we got to hang out with her too! We were supposed to go see my friend, Mary, this evening but that didn't pan out.
So we went with my mom and her friends, Les and Linda, to a new steakhouse in town: Wood Stone Steakhouse. Well, Brent decided to be bold and try the 1 pound burger! And this is what he got: three 1/3 pound patties piled high in between something like a Kaiser-roll "bun." I, on the other hand, got the 1/3 lb burger. Much easier to manage. I must say. The burger itself was fabulous! The owner of this fine establishment came over to chat and he let us know that the burgers are ground from filet mignon! Well no wonder they're so melt-in-your-mouth tasty! And really not all that expensive for a whole pound of meat!
*
I think I've decided to split this vacation blog into 2 or 3 separate posts. I've got 6 more days to blog about and several pictures to add and, for me, things that are too wordy can tend to get overwhelming. So, I'll do... perhaps... 3 concise posts summarizing the highlights of our adventure. That should keep it manageable for your reading and for my writing. :) Enjoy...
No comments:
Post a Comment