Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Dirt, Hay and Pumpkins

A few weeks ago, we decided to designate a Saturday afternoon to having some Harvest fun so... we took a short trek to a local Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze! Yeah, I forgot that the lack of rain in Idaho can make a hot, dry day in a cornfield even worse. As soon as we got out of the car, and I realized that the type of dirt we'd be walking on was the type that poofed a great cloud of dust out from under our shoe every time our foot hit the ground, I knew that there'd be extra mud and grime in our bathtubs that night! I was seriously covered, from head to toe, with a layer of gritty dust after this outing. And that, coupled with a fairly moderate breeze, made for an uncomfortable tractor-pulling hayride. Probably won't be doing that again - ever! I was trying to cough that junk outta my lungs for the next 2 evenings after that! At least the kids had a good time. We bought a couple of snacks to share and some water for everyone at the little "snack shack" there. The kids got to ride in these painted barrels being pulled by a smaller tractor. Wild times, I know! We all ran through the much-smaller, less-formidable hay maze. And then we picked our own pumpkins! Each person was told: "You must find a pumpkin that you're willing and able to carry on your own!" Of course, L.J. and Jensina went for the bigger ones and they were having quite a time hobbling to the scale with their finds... and then they had to hobble to the car after that! Uncle Brent found the perfect pumpkin, in size and roundness, for us. I picked out a tiny pumpkin and a couple of small colorful gourds for the center of my table. Jessica, Jillian and Jacob each picked out 2 of the small pumpkins since they were only a quarter a piece. They had quite the line-up once they finally got them all home! Aside from the flying dust-dirt, we all had fun. Yes, we were exhausted... but that just made for a better night's sleep. :)

No comments: