I'm not sure that I ever really blogged about our day at the Fair this summer, so I'll go ahead and do that now. Oh, wait. You know, now that I think about it... I may have written a quick blurb on another blog. Perhaps I'll cut n' paste that here with just a few more details and some extra pics.Here's what I wrote:
So we went to the Canyon County Fair recently.
Instead of having our usual Game Night with our small group, we all decided to meet up at the Fair. It was fun. Nothing like the Clackamas County Fair that I'm used to... but it was fun. The kids enjoyed it. They were able to go on a few rides, got their faces/arms painted, and picked up a bagful of nifty "toys" from the AARP booth in the Expo hall. Yeah, I know... there's something extremely amusing about 5 kids under the age of 12 taking visors, bookmarks and stress balls in the shape of potatoes from the AARP folks.
There was even a fun booth on how to wash your hands the right way in order to get rid of all the gross bacteria germs! We all put on this "lotion" (a.k.a. germs) and then stepped into a dark area to look at our hands under a black light. Ew. Then we went to the restroom to wash up (we were told to scrub our hands for the entire length of the ABC song) and then step into the black light area again. That was supposed to tell us how well we were washing our hands on a regular basis. Well, even after washing, we all still had the "germs" on the backs of our hands and around our fingernails.
Jacob needed lots of help. It didn't look like he had even attempted to wash his hands the first time! Back to the wash basin. Jessica sang the alphabet song aloud for us while we scrubbed. That was quite entertaining. We walked around and saw quilts and vegetables and photos... most were decorated with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place ribbons, honorable mentions and what-not. The kids even got to sit on a tractor to get their picture taken. Riveting. Once outside, tactical maneuvering was required...
lots of food vendors and miscellaneous-eye-catching-trinket vendors who were trying to get us to buy things we didn't need. We made it through without a scratch! After almost 4 hours at the Fair, we knew it was time to go home when the little ones started getting fussy. All in all, it was a fun day and the kids really had a great time.
Instead of having our usual Game Night with our small group, we all decided to meet up at the Fair. It was fun. Nothing like the Clackamas County Fair that I'm used to... but it was fun. The kids enjoyed it. They were able to go on a few rides, got their faces/arms painted, and picked up a bagful of nifty "toys" from the AARP booth in the Expo hall. Yeah, I know... there's something extremely amusing about 5 kids under the age of 12 taking visors, bookmarks and stress balls in the shape of potatoes from the AARP folks.
There was even a fun booth on how to wash your hands the right way in order to get rid of all the gross bacteria germs! We all put on this "lotion" (a.k.a. germs) and then stepped into a dark area to look at our hands under a black light. Ew. Then we went to the restroom to wash up (we were told to scrub our hands for the entire length of the ABC song) and then step into the black light area again. That was supposed to tell us how well we were washing our hands on a regular basis. Well, even after washing, we all still had the "germs" on the backs of our hands and around our fingernails.
Jacob needed lots of help. It didn't look like he had even attempted to wash his hands the first time! Back to the wash basin. Jessica sang the alphabet song aloud for us while we scrubbed. That was quite entertaining. We walked around and saw quilts and vegetables and photos... most were decorated with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place ribbons, honorable mentions and what-not. The kids even got to sit on a tractor to get their picture taken. Riveting. Once outside, tactical maneuvering was required...
lots of food vendors and miscellaneous-eye-catching-trinket vendors who were trying to get us to buy things we didn't need. We made it through without a scratch! After almost 4 hours at the Fair, we knew it was time to go home when the little ones started getting fussy. All in all, it was a fun day and the kids really had a great time.Now for some extra highlights:
If you'll notice in the pictures above, there's a definite transformation that takes place in Jillian's facial expression.
Between the 1st picture of her on the Ferris Wheel (at ground level) and the 2nd (about half-way up to the top), the change is dramatic! The Carousel was definitely more her speed. I think her smile in that photo is one of relief... being safely on the ground and, yet, still having fun. As far as I can remember, she's the one who's always had an aversion to heights. However, she does like to be held by Uncle Brent... so perhaps that's a phase that she'll soon grow out of. Then there's Jensina who's leaning over and looking down to wave at me. She's fearless. In case you couldn't tell in Jacob's picture, he's showing off the "tatoo" that was painted on his arm.
(You can click on the picture to enlarge for the full effect.) The last photo is my version of the tractor picture. I think mine is a lot better than the polaroids that the "Farm Bureau People" took. All the kids climbed aboard this John Deere tractor and were told to smile. Jacob looks utterly thrilled. Of course, he is, by far, the most independent of Jodi's kiddos... so if you tell him to smile, he won't. I'm pretty sure that he is "Opposite Boy" from Bizzarro World. Another fun thing: We saw a clown handing out stickers. She would take a sticker from her big roll of stickers and ask each kiddo if they could tell her what the letters on the sticker were. Once they said, "IYQ," she would say, "Awww, I wike you too!" and stick the sticker on their shirt and give 'em a hug. It was cute!
Between the 1st picture of her on the Ferris Wheel (at ground level) and the 2nd (about half-way up to the top), the change is dramatic! The Carousel was definitely more her speed. I think her smile in that photo is one of relief... being safely on the ground and, yet, still having fun. As far as I can remember, she's the one who's always had an aversion to heights. However, she does like to be held by Uncle Brent... so perhaps that's a phase that she'll soon grow out of. Then there's Jensina who's leaning over and looking down to wave at me. She's fearless. In case you couldn't tell in Jacob's picture, he's showing off the "tatoo" that was painted on his arm.
(You can click on the picture to enlarge for the full effect.) The last photo is my version of the tractor picture. I think mine is a lot better than the polaroids that the "Farm Bureau People" took. All the kids climbed aboard this John Deere tractor and were told to smile. Jacob looks utterly thrilled. Of course, he is, by far, the most independent of Jodi's kiddos... so if you tell him to smile, he won't. I'm pretty sure that he is "Opposite Boy" from Bizzarro World. Another fun thing: We saw a clown handing out stickers. She would take a sticker from her big roll of stickers and ask each kiddo if they could tell her what the letters on the sticker were. Once they said, "IYQ," she would say, "Awww, I wike you too!" and stick the sticker on their shirt and give 'em a hug. It was cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment